Leading Financial and Family Law Attorneys
Collaborative Law in New Mexico
Collaborative Law in New Mexico– principles and the process.
Collaborative Law is designed to resolve family and other disputes, without the aid of the courts, in a fair and respectable manner. Both parties hire their own Family Lawyers to advise and assist in negotiating an agreement. Generally, there are a series of meetings that take place for the negotiations with the main goal focusing on what is most important and in the best interest of each party.
Collaborative law is ideal for individuals who are looking for a reasonable and practical solution in a cost effective manner.
Here are a few main points to abridge the collaborative law process and why it’s important:
The objective of collaborative law is to reach an agreement that meets the needs of all parties, including any children who might be involved. The process can lessen destructive and unnecessary conflict. As opposed to litigation, which can be adversarial, collaborative lawyers work together to reach a mutually advantageous agreement. Clients are proactive participants in all matters rather than have a third party making decisions on their behalf. All settlements are based on the values, critical needs and interests of both parties rather than an unwanted ending fueled by the prospect of going to court.
Collaborative Law Principles
- The willingness to listen and be respectful for the other party and professionals.
- Direct communication between the professionals and both parties.
- A full disclosure of all relevant financial and other documents and information that are needed to make informed decisions.
- An understanding that the agreement must meet the entire needs of the family.
Negotiations should be based on the best interest of both parties rather than positional bargaining.
Collaborative Law and confidentiality.
- There is a participation agreement signed by all parties. This contract will define which communication and documents are admissible. The agreement also provides the structure for how both parties and their collaborative attorneys will work together towards a settlement. The collaborative process is a major incentive for many families for sensitive family law matters.
- There are clear differences between the collaborative approach to settlement and litigation.
New Mexico Financial Law was founded on a tradition of integrity, common sense and a strong foundation based on the law. Our Albuquerque divorce law practice strives for timely resolution of difficult family situations with a minimal level of confrontation, particularly when children are involved. If you are seeking an family law lawyer who provides quality legal service and has a tradition of integrity and legal and technical expertise in the specialty of family law and divorce law then you have arrived at the right place.
Enter your details below to schedule a consultation.